November 17 , 2021
California Federation of Republican Women
Sue Blair, President
Submitted by the CFRW Legislative Analyst Committee
Gretchen Cox, Elaine Freeman, Lou Ann Flaherty,
Val Emick, and Theresa Speake
Please share this info in your club newsletters/websites & social media!
At the October CFRW Convention, the membership approved a Resolution to support the Water Infrastructure Funding Act of 2022 (WIFA), a Citizens constitutional amendment. The WIFA is a coalition of people and organizations who believe it is up to the People to ensure California has reliable, abundant, and affordable water. The WIFA is NOT A BOND nor does it raise taxes, it dictates to the legislature to use existing paid tax dollars for water projects currently identified.
Priority will be given to underfund projects already approved by the CA Water Commission administered by 2014’s Prop 1 water Bond, maximizing CA’s conveyance capacity along with the ability to move water around, upgrade and maintain dams, pay for desalination, underground water storage, and water recycling. WIFA will ensure the State is able to supply every household and business with clean and safe water; and it will safeguard the irrigation water farmers need.
The WIFA requires all administrative processing and judicial review of water projects funded to be streamlined and expeditiously executed. The CA WIFA will amend our State’s constitution with the support of a majority of CA voters. When water is abundant, everyone wins.
NOTE: THE WIFA DOES NOT SUNSET UNTIL FIVE MILLION ACRE FEET OF NEW WATER CAN BE DELIVERED ANNUALLY; AND DOES NOT CREATE NEW WATER FOR AQUATIACE SPECIES AND HABITATS OR TAKE ANY WATER AWAY.
The Call to Action for CFRW members is this:
- Get to know the Water Infrastructure Funding Act of 2022. Communicate to EVERY CFRW member and family and friends that we must do something to improve and secure our water future, if we don’t take a stand now the soonest something else can or could be established to preserve our water rights could be as late as 2024
- Sign up to collect signatures and DONATE, locate your nearest site to pick up petitions and start collecting signatures
- This is a non partisan issue, build a network and provide groups and/or organizations with bullet points to converse with.
- Contact all of your local, county, state and country legislatives and get them on board to bring awareness to the water crisis because that is what California is in right now, a water crisis.
- Gather your local farmers together and have a town hall meeting, understand and educate yourself with the hardship that our local farmers and agriculture organizations are experiencing
- TAKE ACTION
For more information go to:
For further information on any of the bills mentioned here, click the Bill # in the email. Or you can CLICK HERE and simply enter the bill # or keywords where designated.
Find/contact your local Legislators, click HERE to inquire about or let them know your opinion about bills or issues.
To contact your U.S. Representatives, call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121
Listen to hearings on bills that interest you – http://www.legislature.ca.gov/the_state_legislature/calendar_and_schedules/audio_tv.html
Calif. Legislative Portal links- Express your support or opposition to a bill or directly to the Legislative committee currently reviewing it (as an individual, not as a member of RWF or CFRW)– click here, or the bill’s author- click here, enter your bill # and look for tab at top of the bill page labeled “Comments to Author”